Friday, August 17, 2007

Who Knew?

Last night, one of the girls from the office took me to the gym to teach me how to use the weight machines. I wanted to go before campus filled up with skinny girls who would just stare at me in my baggy t-shirt with a look of "yeah YOU shoulda been in here all summer." Fortunately, last night the gym contained very few people, even though most of them were guys who clearly live there at least on a part time basis.

Despite my worries, I went in and gave it my best shot. It was pathetically puny at best for some of the machines, but on a few, I did pretty well. We ended with a bike ride - where Rachel was mentally in the Tour de France and I was just taking a leisurely stroll through the country. No wonder she's so tiny!

This morning, though, MAMA! I didn't know God put muscles in all those places! WOW! When I started to wash my hair, my shoulders said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! But if I'm gonna take care of this Bricker swing (flabby arms) I'm going to have to spend more time with the skinnies at the gym, regardless of how humiliating it is.

9 comments:

Phats said...

Awesome I workout at home, but then again I know how to use weights haha.

Good for you though. I remember when I first started gymnastics not being able to walk for a week, it's not fun is it haha :)

I don't know how to ride a bike, unless you're talking the stationary bike then I just admitted an embarrassing fact I didn't have too. ha

Brandon said...

Does iwu (insurance) still give incentives to employees if they use the gym?

Natalie said...

I love reading your posts! You're such a good writer :) You frequently crack me up! Going to the gym to lift weights is so intimidating! Good for you for going....as you get comfortable with the machines it will get much easier. I am a very routine person and I just went through my routine every time I went and then didn't have to worry about the machines I didn't understand, LOL. Oh and I feel your pain!

The Hollands said...

Don't feel bad...I have 3 kids that are in pain...Jess even took a Tylenol! After being out of gym all summer...the muscles have gotten a little "relaxed"! They are all paying the price now!

Bekah said...

Phats - I was talking about an exercise bike - but don't worry. I haven't ridden a real bike since I fell off and broke my leg - so we can be embarrassed together.

Brandon - Yep! But get this - I haven't been using it. You have to get a physical to get started and I've been too chicken to do it. But I figure now since I work out more than they require, I might as well suck it up and go get the physical once the health center opens and get rewarded for my sweat and humiliation!

Natalie - Hey thanks for the note! I'm glad i can bring some amusement to your day. :) My goal is to try to hit those machines twice a week and then I can be just like you - in a routine and able to laugh at other newbies. Oh wait. You didn't say that last part. That's just me. :) And BY THE WAY - now that we're losing our hobby lobby (moment of silence), my choice is to go to Kokomo or come to your fine city. So some week when they're having a good sale and I'm headed your way, maybe we could meet up?

Brian and Jaye - If YOUR kids are "out of shape" then I feel much better. Because your kids are pretty in shape! Of course they're probably also working harder than I am. I never would have survived that poop deck game in youth group on Wednesday!

Phats said...

too chicken to get a physical? that's nothing you can do it!

Bekah said...

I am not a fan of doctors. I'm a chicken!

Natalie said...

Bekah I would love to meet up with you if you come to Muncie to go to Hobby Lobby! Let me know if you head this way :)

Tina said...

I can't ride bikes either, so don't feel alone. I use to have a weight training routine (so long ago I will not let you know). Need to pick it up again...

Road trips to Hobby Lobby! Let's schedule some, let's!!!